Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chapter 2

The Tears and Triumphs of a New Author

Chapter 2

So how do you start writing a novel when you’ve never written before?
Who are the characters and why are they doing what they’re doing? And most importantly, why would anyone want to read about them?
I started with the characters. I knew I wanted the novel to be based around the lives of senior citizens. I’m 66 years old and there’s a bazillion of us out there who have made it this far and have shared the same life experiences.
How many old dudes have passed a kidney stone or lost their car in a parking lot? How many people have retired only to find themselves bored with life and eventually begin a new chapter in their lives in an entirely new career?
Plenty! I’m doing it myself!
I have some public speaking experience, and one of the basic rules is to talk about something you know about, so when I began to visualize my main character, Walt Williams, the first person that came to mind was me! I know me better than anyone else and I’ve had a great life chock full of goofy experiences. So Walt was born and he and I share many of the adventures portrayed in the book.
I have been a Realtor for 31 years, so Walt has just retired from a 30 year career in real estate.
My wife, Peg, is also a Realtor. We have worked together for 20 years in the business. Walt’s sweetie, Maggie McBride is also a 65 year old Realtor, but not retired yet.
In addition to being a Realtor, I was also a landlord for 25 years and there’s another whole book that could be written about owning rental property. I sold my rental properties as did Walt when he retired.
My supporting characters are also people from my real life. One is Mary Murphy, a 75 year old who manages Walt’s boarding house. Like the Mary in my real life, she rules the Three Trails Hotel with an iron fist, carries a 36 inch baseball bat and doesn’t take crap off of anyone.
Willie Duncan, a 65 year old black dude, is Walt’s maintenance man. Willie is a crusty old guy off the streets with a questionable past, but totally loyal to Walt. His exploits with the ladies add some spice to the story.
Everyone needs a mentor and Walt’s mentor is 85 year old Professor Leopold Skinner, a retired university professor. His wit and wisdom guide Walt and his scruffy cohorts through the book’s plot.
I have my characters, all senior citizens. Now what are they going to do that’s worth writing about?

No comments:

Post a Comment